Artist: Luka Sulic, Stjepan Hauser | Album: 2 Cellos | Released: 2011 | Genre: Rock, Classical, Chamber music | Country: Croatia | Duration: 00:53:15
2Cellos is the self-titled debut studio album by Croatian cello duo, 2Cellos. It was released on June 10, 2011, worldwide, through Sony Masterworks. The album peaked at number 1 on the US Billboard Top Classical Albums chart.
Chad Grischow of IGN Music called the duo's Nirvana cover "astonishing" and the U2 covers "nothing short of magical." However, he was unimpressed by "The Resistance," and wrote that "'Viva La Vida' is too obvious a choice" for their debut album.
Ultimate-Guitar.com, commented on the album's choice of songs as "eclectic ... but the cellists handle a good number of genres easily." The site attributed the album's quality to the fact that the "duo's approach to the majority of the songs is more about texture or a percussive quality ... against flashy, over-the-top tracks."
Allmusic's review, noted that the cellists "have created an inventive first offering, with unique and innovative arrangements, that deserves to transcend their YouTube beginnings," and praises their musical talents "which seem to produce sounds from a cello that otherwise wouldn't seem possible."
01. "Where The Streets Have No Name" U2
02. "Misirlou (Theme from Pulp Fiction)" Dick Dale
03. "Use Somebody" Kings of Leon
04. "Smooth Criminal" Michael Jackson
05. "Fragile" Sting
06. "Resistance" Matthew Bellamy
07. "Hurt" Trent Reznor
08. "Welcome to the Jungle" Guns N' Roses
09. "Human Nature" Steve Porcaro, John Bettis
10. "Viva La Vida" Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion, Chris Martin
11. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselić
12. "With or Without You" U2